Week 8 Discussion 1 : Judging Research Quality
Week 8 Discussion 2 : Use and Misuse of Research Studies for Social Change
DDBA/8300 Week 8 Discussion 1 Judging Research Quality
To prepare for this Discussion, review the resources from Morse (2015) and Heale and Twycross (2015) before considering the difference in quality criteria for quantitative (reliability and validity) and qualitative (dependability, credibility, transferability, and trustworthiness) methodologies. Further, consider how these concepts can be applied within your development as a research professional and a global change agent.
Post an application of research quality criteria within the context of your work as a doctoral researcher and global change agent. Your application should include the following:
· As an independent scholar, what does the concept of “research quality” mean to you? Explain, and provide supportive examples.
· In your opinion, what are the most critical components for evaluating the quality of a quantitative or qualitative research study? Explain, and provide supportive examples.
· As a global change agent, how will you ensure research quality in your doctoral research study to promote positive social change?
DDBA 8300 Week 8 Discussion 2 Use and Misuse of Research Studies for Social Change
To prepare for this Discussion, review the resources from Bartholet (2014), O’Connor (2013), and Fedina (2015), and reflect on the growing use of reporting on research studies in different avenues of popular media (television, social media, radio, etc.). Also, consider what major aspects of a research study may or may not be discussed when shared in the media, and how these choices may impact a study’s relevance in the field of study and greater community. Further, consider how the concept of research quality can be applied to widely publicized studies, and how the different criteria (credibility, validity, etc.) can be an opportunity for promoting positive social change.
Post an analysis of the use and misuse of research studies for promoting positive social change. Your analysis should include the following:
· How does misuse occur when publicizing emerging research studies? Explain with supportive examples.
· What is the responsibility of a researcher when promoting positive social change? Explain.
· How can researchers utilize research studies to promote change within their given field?